- 1 bunch swiss chard, stemmed and washed in water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch of beet greens, stemmed and washed well in water
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus additional for dish
- 1/2 lb leeks, white and light green parts only, cleaned and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 lb cabbage, cored and chopped (1/2 medium cabbage)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup cooked rice or farro
- 2 oz gruyere or swiss cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 oz parmesan or other hard cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (optional)
- 1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil while you stem and wash the greens. When the water comes to a boil, salt generously and add chard. Blanch for 1 minute, until just wilted, and using a skimmer or a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl of cold water. Drain and squeeze out excess water, taking the chard up by the handful. Chop medium-fine and set aside.
- 2. Bring the water back to a boil and blanch beet greens for 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl of cold water, drain, and squeeze out excess water. Chop medium fine.
- 3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Oil a 2-quart baking dish with olive oil.
- 4. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy skillet and add onion. Cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes, and add leeks. Cook, stirring often, until leeks begin to soften, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and a generous pinch of salt, and then add cabbage. Cook, stirring often, until cabbage collapses in a pan, about 5 minutes, and add another generous pinch of salt. Continue to cook the mixture until the cabbage is tender, sweet, and beginning to color, about 10 minutes. Stir in chopped blanched greens and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir together for about a minute, and remove from the heat.
- 5. Beat eggs in a large bowl and add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in rice or farro, vegetable mixture, and cheeses. Scrape into prepared baking dish. If using breadcrumbs, toss with remaining tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle over the top. If not using breadcrumbs, drizzle remaining oil over the top.
- 6. Bake 40-45 minutes, until top is lightly browned. Remove from heat and allow to sit for at least 10 minutes before serving. Serve hot, or room temperature.
- Not Included in Large Real Food Box: Olive Oil, Parmesan or hard cheese, Breadcrumbs (optional), Salt & Pepper
- Serving Size: 4