for the chicken
- Chicken thighs or 1/2 chicken, cut into 3-4 pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves unpeeled garlic
- 1 cup olives
- 1/4 cup tomato paste (can substitute with ketchup and a tbsp of vinegar)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or water
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
for the sauce
- 3-4 whole tomatoes
- Handful of parsley
- Handful of cilantro
- 1 zest and juice of lemon
- 2 cloves of garlic
- With a paper towel, pat the chicken dry. In a small bowl mix together the tomato paste, brown sugar, paprika, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. Rub the mixture over the chicken.
- Pour the olive oil into a hot pan and sear the chicken on both sides for a few minutes, on a medium/ high heat. Add whole garlic cloves, olives, and stock, then cut the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 350. Halve the tomatoes and place in a food processor with the remaining ingredients: peeled garlic, lemon zest and juice, cilantro and parsley. Pulse until smooth and pour over the chicken. Cover with aluminum foil and cook covered for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, increase the heat to 400 and remove the foil and cook for 30 more minutes.
- Serve with white or brown rice.
/Narrative Food https://blog.narrativefood.com/