- 4 tablespoons neutral oil like canola or grapeseed
- 2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 8 cardamom pods (optional)
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 green chillies, thinly sliced
- 400g basmati rice
- 720 ml water
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons sliced scallions
- 8 tablespoons Greek yogurt or sour cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Start with the rice. Heat the neutral oil in a large, heavy pan for which you have a tight fitting lid. Add the onions and garlic and saute on low heat for eight minutes. Add the curry, cardamom, coriander seeds, turmeric and a teaspoon of salt, and cook and stir for another four minutes on medium heat. Add the rice, stir to coat it in the oil, then pour in the water. Cover and bake for 25 minutes. By this point, the rice should be totally cooked. If you must check, remove the lid briefly so you don’t lose all the vapor. Remove the pan from the oven, cover, and set aside somewhere warm.
- Now poach the eggs. Fill a shallow saucepan with enough water for a whole egg to cook in. Add vinegar, bring to a rapid boil, then carefully break the eggs into individual cups and gently tip, one at a time, into the boiling water. Immediately remove the pan from the heat and set it aside. After about four minutes, the eggs should be perfectly poached.
- While the eggs are poaching, stir the parsley and scallion into the rice and fluff it up with a fork. Taste and adjust the seasoning, then divide the rice into individual serving bowls and spoon some yogurt on top, if using.
- Once poached, use a slotted spoon to carefully remove the eggs from the water. Dry briefly on a kitchen towel and place one egg on each portion of rice. Drizzle some oil on top, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve.
- Not Included in Large Real Food Boxes: Cooking Oil, Curry Powder, Cardamom Pods, Coriander Seeds, Turmeric, Green Chillies, White Wine Vinegar, Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream (Opt)