Beet and Orange Salad with Spinach, Shaved Fennel, and Green Beans
A variation of this recipe was one of the most popular menu items at my restaurant.
- 2 beets
- 2-3 oranges, peeled
- 1 cup spinach, washed, dried and cut into shreds
- 1 head fennel
- 1 cup green beans
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 1 TBS dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp honey
- 3/4 cup walnut oil or olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1- Place the beets in a pot and cover with cold water. On the stovetop, bring them up to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, and simmer 30-35 minutes until a knife slides in and out easily. When they are tender but not mushy, use a slotted spoon to remove them to a plate and let them cool for about 15 minutes while you prep the rest of the salad.
- 2- For the salad, cut the peeled oranges into circles about 1/2 inch thick and set aside. Cut the core out of the fennel root and shave it very thin on a mandoline or with a knife. Wash the green beans and chop them into 1/4 inch pieces and set aside.
- 3- Make the vinaigrette by whisking the champagne vinegar, mustard, garlic, and honey in a bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil until you have a nice thick dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 4- When the beets have cooled a bit, use a paper towel to rub off all of the skin, retaining their nice round shape. Cut them into 1/2 inch rounds.
- 5- On 4 plates, alternately lay down a beet circle, orange circle, etc until you have used all of the beets and oranges. Mix the spinach, fennel, and green beans in a bowl with some of the dressing and place this mix next to the beets/oranges on each plate. Drizzle some more dressing over the beets and oranges, and some salt and pepper if you please. A striking salad that will impress your guests!
- Not included in the box: Champagne vinegar, mustard, honey, oil, salt
- Chef's Tips: You could add toasted walnuts and goat cheese to this salad for some extra wow factor.
/Narrative Food https://blog.narrativefood.com/