This is a great recipe for those carrots lingering in the bottom of the crisper drawer. Even slightly droopy carrots turn into a great side dish. Some blackening on the carrots makes them taste great.
- A bunch of carrots, peeled and topped. If carrots are thicker than 3/4 inch, cut them down to size before roasting.
- 2 Tablespoons melted lard, olive oil, or unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt.
- Preheat the oven to 450 F. In a cast-iron pan, toss the carrots with the lard to coat, then season with salt. Transfer to the oven and roast until blistered and tender, shaking the pan occasionally so the carrots brown on all sides, about 40 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Not Included in Large Real Food Boxes: Melt lard or olive oil (3-5 boxes included unsalted butter), kosher salt.
Excerpted from Home Cooked: Essential Recipes for a New Way to Cook by Anya Fernald with Jessica Battilana, copyright © 2016, published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC. Photography copyright © 2016 by Brown W. Cannon III.