When radicchio is grilled, the sugars caramelize and it turns into something exquisitely sweet and smokey!
- 1 head Treviso radicchio
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 TBS red wine vinegar
- 2 TBS honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced to a paste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup smoked mozzerella, diced
- 1- Cut the radicchio and romaine in half lengthwise, but leave the root on so that they hold together. Wash them and set aside.
- 2- Whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, honey, garlic, and olive oil. Paint the dressing onto all sides of the lettuces generously with a brush or spoon, reserving the extra dressing. Then sprinkle the lettuces with salt.
- 3- Grill the lettuces on a hot grill for 3 minutes on each side, or until charred but not burnt. You could alternatively put them in a 450 oven for 5 minutes per side.
- 4- Chop up the lettuces and discard the roots. Mix in the extra dressing and the smoked cheese.
- All you need to round this salad out are some thick slabs of grilled bread.
- Not Included In the Box: red wine vinegar, honey, olive oil, kosher salt