- 3 cups peeled and grated potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and grated parsnips
- 1oz chives, finely chopped
- 4 egg whites
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 5 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- salt and freshly ground
- black pepper
- soured cream, to serve
- Drain the grated potatoes: Place grated potatoes in a colander and squeeze with your hands. Once most of the water has been removed, spread potatoes onto 2 sheets of paper towel (or a dishtowel) and let dry.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, parsnips, green onions, egg whites, and cornstarch. Stir until well combined.
- Heat butter and oil in a large skillet. Once the pan and oil are hot, take about two tablespoons of the potato mixture into your hands and form into a thin patty. Carefully place the latke into the hot oil mixture and repeat until the skillet is full (latkes should not be touching). Fry on the first side for about 5 minutes, or until the underside is golden brown. Flip latkes and fry for about 5 minutes more.
- Remove latkes from the oil with a slotted spoon and place on a serving plate. Keep warm in an oven heated to 200 degrees if necessary.
- Repeat process until all the potato mixture is fried, about three batches.
- Not included in the Large Real Food Boxes: Cornstarch, Butter (3-5 Real Food Large do include butter), Cooking Oil, S&P