- 1 lb sunchokes, peeled and cut lengthwise into wedges
- 3 TBS freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 larger red onion, sliced
- 12 large cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1/2 a medium lemon, halved lengthwise and then very thinly sliced
- 1 tsp saffron threads, crushed (opt.)
- 3 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp pink peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 1 cup parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 head radicchio, washed and sliced thin
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, cover the Jerusalem artichokes with plenty of water and add half the lemon juice. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 10 to 20 minutes, until tender but not soft. Drain and leave to cool. If you have never eaten sunchokes before, tread with caution as some people have trouble digesting them — they are rich in inulin, which is great for intestinal health.
- Place the Jerusalem artichokes and all the remaining ingredients, in a large mixing bowl and use your hands to mix everything together well. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge overnight, or for at least two hours.
- Not Included in the Box: saffron, olive oil, pink peppercorns, salt, pepper
- Chef Tip: Enjoy cold as a salad, or heat gently in a pan and serve warm as a side dish.