Parsnip, Celery Root, and Ginger Soup
The beauty of this soup is that you can make it completely vegan, with olive oil and no cream, and it will still be rich and creamy.
- 2 TBS butter, ghee, or olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and rough chopped
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 4-6 parsnips, peeled and rough chopped
- 1 cup celery root, peeled and rough chopped
- 1 waxy potato (such as yukon gold or red potatoes), peeled and rough chopped
- 4-6 cups filtered water or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup cream (optional)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 apple, peeled and grated
- 1 TBS chopped parsley
- Juice of 1/4 of a lemon
- 1- In a soup pot, heat the butter, ghee, or oil on medium low heat. Add the onion, ginger, and apple, stir them around, and let them cook until they soften up, about 8-10 minutes.
- 2- Add the parsnips, celery root, and potato, along with the water or stock. Let the soup bubble and simmer 30- 40 minutes.
- 3- Use an immersion blender (if you have one), to carefully puree the soup. Otherwise, you could put it in a regular blender, in several batches, covering the blender with a towel so you don't get spattered with hot soup.
- 4- Put the pureed soup back on the stove and adjust the salt and pepper. You can finish it with a little cream if you have some, but it should have a nice creaminess from the parsnips. In a little bowl, mix the grated apple and chopped parsley with some lemon juice and use it to top each portion of piping hot soup.
- Not included in the Box: Ghee or olive oil (opt), vegetable stock (opt), cream (opt), salt.
- Chef's Tip: If you have any pastry scraps left from the root vegetable quiche, you can cut them into strips, paint them with olive oil or cream, and sprinkle them with sea salt and black pepper. Then bake them at 400F for about 5 minutes, and use these savory crispy delights to garnish your soup.
/Narrative Food https://blog.narrativefood.com/