Quick to make and ready to eat in a day, these are perfect to accompany meats. You can also add peeled hard-boiled eggs to the brine and let them pickle for a day or two alongside the beets, turning them a brilliant fuschia.
- a bunch of red or golden beets
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 6 hard-boiled eggs (optional)
- Put the beets in a medium saucepan and add water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat and boil until the beets are tender but not mushy, 30 to 45 minutes. Drain, rinse with cool water, peel, and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Add the vinegar, water, sugar, and salt to the now-empty saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt. Remove from the heat.
- Put the beets in a heatproof jar with a lid and pour the brine over. Peel the hard-boiled eggs and add them to the brine along with the beets. Let cool, then cover and transfer to the refrigerator. The beets are ready in a day but will keep, refrigerated, for up to 6 weeks; the eggs should be eaten within a day or two.
- Not included in Large Real Food Box: Kosher Salt, Sugar
Excerpted from Home Cooked: Essential Recipes for a New Way to Cook by Anya Fernald with Jessica Battilana, copyright © 2016, published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC. Photography copyright © 2016 by Brown W. Cannon III.