Potato Latkes with Apple Pear Sauce
What better way to usher in December than with these irresistible, crispy little gems.
Apple Pear Sauce
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 2 pears, peeled, cored, and diced
- 3 TBS granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 stick of cinnamon (optional)
- 2 lb potatoes, peeled
- 1 brown or yellow onion, peeled
- 1 TBS kosher salt
- 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 TBS flour, matzoh meal, or rice flour
- about 1 cup of grapeseed, avocado, or olive oil- for frying
- 1- To make the apple pear sauce, combine the ingredients in a small pot and simmer on low heat 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the cinnamon stick at the end, if you used one.
- 2- For the latkes: Using a large box grater, grate the peeled potatoes into a bowl. Grate the onion into the same bowl, and try not to cry. Add the kosher salt, and use your hands to mix well.
- 3- In a separate large bowl, beat the egg. Working with a big handful of potato-onion mixture at a time, squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Transfer each squeezed handful into the bowl with the egg. Once all of the potato-onion mixture is in the bowl with the egg, add the black pepper and the matzoh meal, flour, or rice flour, and mix well with a fork.
- 4- In a large frying pan, heat the oil on medium. While it heats up, form the potato mixture into patties about 2 1/2 inches in diameter with your hands. You can put these on a baking sheet until you're ready to fry them.
- 5- Fry up the latkes in the hot oil, about 3 minutes per side. Drain well on paper towels and serve hot, with the apple pear sauce.
- Not Included in the Box: Cinnamon stick (opt.), kosher salt, matzoh meal, flour, or rice flour, oil for frying
/Narrative Food https://blog.narrativefood.com/