We all know this is Jessica’s most iconic dish. And for good reason.
Excerpted from Everything I Want to Eat by Jessica Koslow Photography by Claire Cottrell, Jaime Beechum, Nacho AlegrePrint
- 2 Cups Kokuho Rose Rice
- Fine Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tsp EVOO
- 1/2 cup lightly packed kale leaves (stems removed)
- 1 cup lightly packed chopped sorrel leaves
- 1.5 TB fresh lemon juice
- 1 TB chopped fresh dill, plus more for serving
- 1/2–1 preserved Meyer Lemon from your box: flesh removed, peel finely chopped (if your box didn’t included preserved lemons, then use a bit of lemon zest to flavor your rice bowl)
- 1–2 small watermelon radishes, very thinly sliced
- 1/8 C Hot Sauce
- 1/3 C crumbled Feta Cheese
- 3 poached eggs
- Fleur de sel
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Boil the rice in plenty of salted water until it’s tender. 30-45 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Meanwhile, make the sorrel pesto: in a blender or food processor, combine 1/4 C of the oil, kale, sorrel and 1/2 TB of lemon juice. Blend until smooth, stopping and scraping down the sides as needed. Season with salt to taste.
- In a large bowl, toss the rice with the dill, preserved lemon peel (or some lemon zest), 1/2 tablespoon of the lemon juice, and the pesto. Taste and add a bit more salt, if needed.
- In a small bowl, toss the radish with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice, the remaining 1 tsp oil, and a pinch of salt. Set aside to marinate for a few minutes, until the radish is pliable and tender.
- To serve, divide the rice among 2-4 bowls. Spoon a line of hot sauce across the rice. Arrange a little clump of feta on one side and a rosette of the radish slices on the other side. Set a poached egg in the middle of each bowl and season it with fleur de sel and black pepper. Garnish with a tiny sprig or two of dill.
- MAKE IT YOURS
- Think of this rice bowl as a solid base for you to build upon. Don’t like poached eggs? Leave them out. Make it a Meat Lovers’ dish by adding bacon or sausage. Or go the vegan route and substitute kale for the feta and eggs. No preserved lemon ? Try using some lemon zest…
- Not Included in Large Kitchen Box: Sea Salt, EVOO, Hot Sauce, Fleur de Sel, Ground Black Pepper
- Not Included in Small Box and Vegetarian Box: Sea Salt, EVOO, Hot Sauce, Fleur de Sel, Ground Black Pepper, eggs