- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 ounces drained sliced jarred pimientos, chopped
- 1/2 tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup rice
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 lb. green beans
- 1/2 cup english peas (fresh or frozen)
- 3–4 oz marinated artichoke hearts, drained and sliced
- 1 cup drained and rinsed canned cannellini beans (one 8-ounce can)
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the pimientos, tomato, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the salt, turmeric, and rice.
- Add the broth, water, and parsley and bring to a boil.
- Continue cooking over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the green beans, peas, artichokes, and cannellini beans. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes before serving.
- If you are missing any of the veggie ingredients, swap it for another spring vegetable in your fridge, or add more beans or peas. It’s a delicious dish to get creative with and use what you have!