- 1 TBS olive oil or ghee
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, chopped fine
- 1 stalk lemongrass, outer fibrous part removed and the white inner part chopped fine
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- 3 tomatoes, seeds removed, diced
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk, well stirred
- salt to taste
- 1 TBS toasted almonds, chopped (optional)
- Brown rice (optional)
- 1- In a heavy pot, heat the olive oil or ghee on a medium flame. Add the diced sweet potato, carrots, onion, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, apple, cayenne pepper, and coriander powder, and stir and cook for 8-10 minutes or so, until everything is beginning to get soft and golden.
- 2- Add the diced tomatoes and cook another 4 or 5 minutes.
- 3- Add the coconut milk, stir well, and simmer the stew for about 30 minutes on low heat. Meanwhile, make some simple steamed brown rice if you like.
- 4- Taste the stew and add salt to taste. If you like it sweeter, try adding 1 TBS brown sugar or piloncillo. If you’d like it thicker, mash some of the cooked sweet potatoes and tomatoes up against the side of the pot with a big wooden spoon, stir well, and cook another 5 minutes or so.
- 5- Serve the stew over brown rice, and garnish with coarsely chopped toasted almonds if you want a bit of crunch.
- Not Included in The Box: Olive oil or ghee, cayenne pepper, coriander powder, coconut milk, salt, almonds (optional), brown rice (optional)