Veggie Burgers with Sweet Potato Oven Fries
I often prefer these veggie burgers to beef burgers. They are packed with flavor!
- 2 cups cooked black beans (cook them the day before you plan to make veggie burgers)
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped small
- 1 onion, chopped small
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup kale, chopped small
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (or chickpea flour if you're gluten free)
- 1 TBS soy sauce or tamari
- a good amount of salt and pepper
- a couple of sweet potatoes, peeled
- A few more glugs of olive oil
- Burger buns or lettuce leaves, optional
- Greek yogurt mixed with a little lemon juice and cayenne pepper, for garnish and dipping (optional)
- 1- Put the black beans in a big bowl and mash them coarsely with a potato masher. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a big saute pan and saute the mushrooms, onion, garlic, kale, and thyme until everything softens and starts to barely turn golden brown, about 4-5 minutes. Cool these veggies then add them to the bowl with the beans.
- 2- Mix in the eggs, breadcrumbs or chickpea flour, soy sauce, salt, and pepper. Get a bowl of cold water on the counter and dip your hands in it. Use wet hands to form veggie burger patties out of the mixture, and lay them on a plate or sheet pan in the refrigerator-- chilling them will help them hold their shape.
- 3- Meanwhile, make the sweet potato fries. Put a heavy baking sheet in the oven, and heat the oven and the empty baking sheet to 450 degrees. While you are waiting, cut your sweet potatoes into french fry-sized sticks and put them into a big bowl with a glug of olive oil and a generous couple of pinches of salt. Toss them around to coat them with the oil. Now, carefully take the hot baking sheet out of the oven and pour the oiled sweet potatoes onto it. Put it back in the oven and roast the sweet potatoes for 5 minutes. Turn the oven down to 375, use a spatula to flip over the sweet potatoes, and put them back in the oven for about 10 minutes, until crispy.
- 4- In a frying pan or cast iron skillet, heat another couple of glugs of olive oil. Add the veggie burgers in a single layer, and fry them on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Don't move them while they are frying, leaving them alone will develop a nice crust and set their shape. Flip them and fry another 4-5 minutes on the other side.
- 5- Serve the veggie burgers on buns or lettuce leaves, with the sweet potato fries on the side, and spicy greek yogurt, or any condiments of your choice!
/Narrative Food https://blog.narrativefood.com/