We used to do a fancy version of this salad at my restaurant, cooking the eggs sous-vide and making homemade mustard, but it is really just a homey and satisfying dish at its core.
- 1 kabocha squash
- 1 lb purple potatoes
- 4 TBS olive oil
- 2 TBS fresh lemon thyme
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 4 TBS parsley leaves, picked
- 4 leaves escarole or swiss chard, washed and torn into big pieces
- 1 orange
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tsp Red wine vinegar
- 2 TBS goat cheese
- 1- Preheat the oven to 425. To prepare the squash, cut it in half and scoop out the seeds. Now cut each half into half-moons about 1 inch thick and peel them. Peel the purple potatoes and cut them into wedges that are 1 inch thick at the thickest part. Toss the squash and potatoes with 2 TBS of the olive oil, the lemon thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Put them on a heavy baking sheet and roast for 20-25 minutes.
- 2- Turn down the oven to 350. Take the baking sheet out, stir in the sliced shallots, parsley leaves, greens, and the juice of 1 orange, and put the baking sheet back in the oven for 10 minutes.
- 3- Now soft boil your eggs. Put them in a pot, cover them with warm water, and bring to a boil over high heat. When the eggs come to a boil, set a timer for 4 1/2 minutes and turn the heat down to a simmer. When the time is up, drain the eggs, fill the pot with several changes of cold water, and let them sit while you make the dressing.
- 4- In a small bowl, whisk the mustard, honey and vinegar. Whisk in the remaining 2 TBS olive oil, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- 5- Take the vegetables out of the oven and pour the dressing over them, mixing well. Peel the soft boiled eggs. Divide the warm vegetable salad between 4 bowls and top each with a soft boiled egg and a half tablespoon crumbled goat cheese.
- Not included in the box: Olive oil, salt, black pepper, dijon mustard, honey, red wine vinegar.